Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Board Game of Life


‘The ladders they are plenty’ said the crooked man,
‘Climb high now and go where you want’
As I picked up the dice, he said
he said, ‘write your story now, love,
but be wary of those fangs.
All it takes is a hiss and a bite
to slither
slither down the snake
in the board game of life’

So i rolled the dice of my fate over,
over and over many times.
In the board game of my life,
the ladders were mine to climb.
The first ladder was easy,
easy to scale.
A roll here and a climb there,
everything I wanted was just another ladder away

Then came the ladder of love,
(Oh how I had longed for this)
enticing me with the heights it could reach.
Absolute, perfect dreams, as I climbed.
Delusions, I told myself later.
But it’s always a little
a little too late.
As I opened my eyes, I was slithering
slithering down the snake
in the board game of life.

The ladder of hope though small
pulled me up again.
I climbed and climbed
on the steps of success, glory and fame.
But the white, red and green fangs
found me again
found me again slithering
slithering down the snake
In the board game of life.

The ladder of hope
seemed suddenly far away.
If I could just reach the ladder of faith
in time.
In time all would be ok.
But the dice were gone and the ladders
the ladders began falling.
I looked at the crooked man, but he just said,
‘if you cant see them, love,
you cant climb them.
All it took was a hiss and a bite,
and you slithered
slithered down the snake
in the board game of life.’

No comments: